Well all, the Spiel des Jahres nominees have been announced! Wait, what was that? You don’t know what that means? You don’t speak German? No worries, I do not speak German as well. Let’s back up a little and translate a little.
Spiel des Jahres translates to Game of the Year. It is one of the, if not the highest award a board game can receive. It shows top marks for a game published in the last year. Now there are some small rules that are a requirement to receive the award.
- Rules and any additional texts relevant for game play must be in German.
- The game must be published in the current year or in the previous year. Practically-unchanged new editions or anniversary editions of existing games are excluded.
- The game must be available at retail by May of the current year. The jury will not consider prototypes, mockups, or short runs.
- The game must be distributed in German speaking countries.
- The game must be playable as a standalone game. Expansions, extensions, and supplements to existing games will not be considered.
They also have nominees for the Kinderspiel des Jahres (Children’s Game of the Year) and the Kennerspiel des Jahres (Gamer’s Game of the year)
Here is the link to the nominees. http://www.spiel-des-jahres.com/cms/front_content.php?idcat=175&lang=4